Friday, November 27, 2009

Once in Blue Moon!


So after studying a little about the moon phases; I thought I give this little message out to all you Mom's & Dad's out there!!


So when Children would ask for maybe something you can't afford/or wont buy them we would say back them "Once in a Blue Moon. Here is what I studied:



"The saying "once in a blue moon" has nothing to do with color. Instead it refers to the relatively rare occurrence of what is called a "blue moon". (However, an actual blue-colored moon could occur from atmosheric effects such as a big forest fire on Earth causing a lot of haze. this has happened in the past!)


The definition of a Blue Moon has changed over the years. However, the commonly accepted definition of a Blue Moon is simple: it is a full moon that rises twice in on month. Due to our calendar days, sometimes the days of the month are less than the cycle of the moon, which is 29.5 days. This can cause the moon to rise twice in one month, near the first and the last days of the same month. It is said that blue moons happen every 33 month or about every 3 years.


SO every 33 months or about 3 years I should gotten something when my parents said that to me. So I'm 30 now. that is a lot of toys, money, and trips they owe me!! I'm holding that to them now!!! I love science!!!

Oh I better put this in to help you if ever slip the words "Blue Moon"

2009 December
2012 August
2015 July
2018 January & March
2020 October

1 comment:

Alynda said...

Very cool!! I'll watch what I say from now on.