As I was soaking in the sun, enjoying the hot rays while the sun was burning the top of my head, I was told to do something that I call an "Oh really" moment. For the past five weeks I've been doing projects around the community with a group of inmates in a program called I.D.E.A.L. (I'll give the definition later, but it's really a work detail program.) This week we have been working at the fair grounds building what are called "shoots" (it's some rodeo term). It has been so hot, I have felt myself frying! So, today, I was told by my lieutenant that I should go buy a beach umbrella and chair to watch the inmates as they work and for me to not work so hard.
All I could think of was, "oh really???" That is all I have to do to get a project done, huh? What a life this would that be...just sitting under an umbrella with a soda in one hand and binoculars in another, making sure that the inmates are getting things done (i.e. NOT RUNNING AWAY) and doing it right. Man, I just thought I had to get dirty and fried to show I was getting something done!!
It's not that easy, but it sure has been rewarding to work with each of these guys. But, I do dream of me sitting under an umbrella with a soda in one hand and binoculars in another or even a book at a beach...now that's dreaming!!
2 comments:
Take advantage of the "rest" while you can. I have an image in my mind of you sipping away, batting the flies and reading a book.
Why does the thought of a "work detail" conjure images of "Cool Hand Luke"? Do you make them call you "boss"?
Post a Comment